It's been awhile, apparently I've been a little preoccupied elsewhere over the last few months. Let's just take it as getting all kinds of new ideas to blog. Today the Elder's Quorum President came into relief society to ask the girls their qualms about dating. Things they think the guys in the ward should now. Many things were mentioned; the need to ask, plan something, keep it simple, keep it cheap, etc. Throughout the 15 minute discussion there was one thing that kept coming to mind. I wasn't sure that I could say it in front of a captive relief society audience so I decided to wait until later to bring it up. I also found it blog worthy.
So here is the question of the day/week/month/year that I have had. Why is it that men/boys think it's okay to date females that dress immodestly. Especially the return missionaries that spent 2 years teaching the gospel. I know you're supposed to teach modesty in those lessons, I did it. They say that's not who they want to marry, but newsflash: You marry who you date. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. All it's doing is giving them positive feedback. For example, dancing the other night, there was a girl wearing a skirt that was way too short for any kind of dancing, yet she kept getting asked, while others in pants did not. In my ward it is the younger girls in the short skirts and low tops that are always being asked out, while others that are just as attractive but cover up never get asked out once. And I'm tired of hearing the modesty lessons in Relief Society. Those girls know them, but until the men stop giving positive reinforcement to their disobedience they are never going to change.
My question for the men is, are you going to be okay when your daughters dress that way. Because obviously your girlfriends/someday-to-be-wifes think that it's alright, and who do you think will be shopping with them, not you! Also, people don't change the way they dress just because they go to the temple to get married. A habit's a habit and if they think it's okay now it's not suddenly going to change overnight. So be a man and live what you supposedly taught. Better yet, help a girl out and teach them that dressing that way is not okay!
So here is the question of the day/week/month/year that I have had. Why is it that men/boys think it's okay to date females that dress immodestly. Especially the return missionaries that spent 2 years teaching the gospel. I know you're supposed to teach modesty in those lessons, I did it. They say that's not who they want to marry, but newsflash: You marry who you date. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. All it's doing is giving them positive feedback. For example, dancing the other night, there was a girl wearing a skirt that was way too short for any kind of dancing, yet she kept getting asked, while others in pants did not. In my ward it is the younger girls in the short skirts and low tops that are always being asked out, while others that are just as attractive but cover up never get asked out once. And I'm tired of hearing the modesty lessons in Relief Society. Those girls know them, but until the men stop giving positive reinforcement to their disobedience they are never going to change.
My question for the men is, are you going to be okay when your daughters dress that way. Because obviously your girlfriends/someday-to-be-wifes think that it's alright, and who do you think will be shopping with them, not you! Also, people don't change the way they dress just because they go to the temple to get married. A habit's a habit and if they think it's okay now it's not suddenly going to change overnight. So be a man and live what you supposedly taught. Better yet, help a girl out and teach them that dressing that way is not okay!
No comments:
Post a Comment